Wednesday, December 8, 2010

30 Before 30: Item 4, Part 3

My most recently read "Classic" novel is a book I've been interested in reading for years and years. I'm excited to say I've finally read Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.

Unfortunately, its the day before I turn 30 and I have two classic novels left to read before I can officially cross Item 4: Read 5 "Classic" Novels so I guess, since close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, I have to mark this item as a FAIL.

However, the book was anything but a FAIL! I adored Jane Eyre! It moved me, made me smile, made me cry and even inspired me!

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
First published in 1847, Jane Eyre is the story of the title character who is orphaned, plain and poor and forced to live with her upper-class, unloving aunt. After a childhood of neglect, she is transferred to a boarding school which at first seems more torturous than her childhood oppression. After time, however, Jane blossoms in her boarding school and even becomes a teacher at the school in her young adult life.

With her integrity, drive and spirits stronger than ever, Jane leaves the boarding school to start a new life as a governess in Thornfield Hall. She falls in love with her employer, Mr. Rochester, and the two embark on an impassioned courtship. However, the bliss doesn't last as long (as the reader so desperately hopes for Jane). A dark secret tears her away from Mr. Rochester and she is once again orphaned, poor and all alone in the world.

Jane Eyre kept me turning page after page! I was full of emotion and drawn deeply into the characters throughout the entire book. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a classic suspenseful story full of romance and mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment