Monday, December 6, 2010

30 Before 30: Item 14, Part 3

Movie #3 is on every "Classic" Movie List out there, so I just had to add it to mine. This weekend, I watched Citizen Kane and am one step closer to crossing Item 14: Watch 5 "Classic" Movies off my list.

Directed by and staring Orson Welles, Citizen Kane is the story of a millionaire publishing tycoon, Charles Foster Kane (Welles). The movie kicks off with a news announcement of Charles Kane's death which provides a snapshot of his life for the viewer. Alarmed and intrigued by the announcement of his death, news reporters start a frenzied investigation to decipher the meaning of his final word, "Rosebud."

Although very rich and considered the most powerful man in the world, Charles Kane did not find happiness in his public, extravagant life and dies alone in his mansion - Xanadu. Reporters dig deep into his history and, using flashbacks into his childhood and adulthood milestones, the viewer learns about the rise of Charles Kane, including his tumultuous love life, expanding wealth and ever-increasing power.

Overall, I found this movie to be quite boring. I'll attribute that to my limited understanding of cinema, as it is considered by many to be the best film ever made. It's hard for me to recommend watching this film, but if you do please let me know what you think!

Be on the look out for my next movie coming up this week.....An American in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment