Wednesday, November 17, 2010

30 Before 30: Items 3 & 15

I was sitting on the couch with the spouse thinking about how I really need to be more involved with my community and church. So I turned to John and said, "I want to volunteer at church. I think I'd like to join the choir." He stared at me silently, scrutinizing me with his eyeballs, and said nothing.

Surprised by his quiet response to my declaration of selfless songbirding, I said, "What? You don't think I should be in the choir?" He looked right at me and said a quick "No" without offering any further explanation. So, naturally I prodded him to find out why he wouldn't want me to take on this new activity. He turned to me and said, "Because you are a terrible singer."

That being said, I am now a reader at church. My first training is scheduled for December 5th, I'll be put in the lector rotation shortly after and I'm excited to cross Item 15: Volunteer at Church from my list.

Motivated further to become involved in the community, I have been attending general meetings of the Fort Collins Junior League for the last several months. I've chosen this organization because I work in Denver, CO and from home....leaving me with very little opportunity to meet people in Fort Collins. The Junior League is an organization of women who are dedicated to service and giving back to the community while building strong, long-lasting friendships. So far, its been a wonderful way to get to know women in my community and learn about all the opportunities to volunteer. I've filled out the application and mailed the check! I can officially cross Item 3: Join the FC Junior League off my list!

For more information on the Fort Collins Junior League, check it out here!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a lovely singing voice and I'm so excited for number 7! I hope I can be there! Sooooo proud of you friend! Love, Kel

    ReplyDelete